Generalities and Reference
- California Health Interview Survey – quickly search for health statistics on your county, region
- Statistical Abstract of the United States : Published since 1878, it is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the
- Bartleby (Books online)
- Virginia e-Text (Books
- fedstats.govThe official gateway to Governmental statistics
- Project Gutenberg: Free “classic” e-books
- The Online Books Page: Lists over 30,000 free e-books.
- The Internet Public Library Online Texts Collection: Over 50 links to databases of online
texts in the public domain, from Aesop’s Fables to the Victorian Women’s Writing Project.
- Google Books
- OAISTER: Catalog of digital resources (articles, books, images, movies, etc).
- Word Reference: Spanish,
French, Italian, German, and Russian
Magazines, Newspapers & Publications
- MagPortal (Magazines)
- Directory of Open Access Journals: Free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly
journals. Includes more than 4000 journals in the directory, with more than 300,000 articles included.
- HighWire Press : More than 6 million full-text articles from over 140 scholarly publishers.
- OAISTER: Catalog of digital resources (articles, books, images, movies,
- Appeal-Democrat Online
- Sacramento Bee Online
- San Francisco Chronicle (SF Gate)
- San Jose Mercury News
- New York Times
- National Library of Medicine – National Institutes of Health
- Web MD: Valuable health information, tools for managing your health, and support to
those who seek information.
- MedlinePLUS: Free, high quality health information in English, Spanish, and more than 40 other languages.
- PubMed: Service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 19 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to 1948. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources.
- Eric Online digital library of education research and information sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Government Agencies
- California Home Page
- California State Associations of Counties
- U.S. Government’s Official Web Portal
- National Institute of Standards (Time)
- ERIC – Educational Resources Information Center
- Global Information
Sciences & Technology
- California Dept. of Water Resources Data Exchange Center
- Nature – International weekly journal of science
- Science Online Magazine
- National Weather Service – California Data
- Internet Guide to Engineering, Math, & Computing
History and Geography
- The Smithsonian Institution
- California Historical Society
- Library of Congress American Memory Project: Contains books, maps, photographs, sound recordings, sheet music, early motion pictures and animation, and much more.
- Documents for the Study of American History
- Calisphere: Calisphere is the University of California’s free public gateway to
a world of primary sources. More than 150,000 digitized items — including photographs, documents, newspaper pages, political cartoons, works of art, diaries, transcribed oral histories, advertising, and other unique cultural artifacts.
- Library of Congress American Memory Project