The Mission of the WLDC
The goal of the Writing & Language Development Center, or WLDC, is to support Yuba College students in all aspects of language development, helping them become engaged readers and writers; strategic in monitoring their own comprehension of texts; deliberate in selecting rhetorical tools suited to their purpose; independent, lifelong learners empowered by mastery of language to participate in their communities and achieve their educational and life goals.
The WLDC embraces a particular mission toward our many English-language learners at Yuba College. We enjoy the richness that cultural diversity brings to our job!
Where to find the WLDC
We are inside the library (Learning Resource Center, building 1100), near the front lobby, to the right. You can find the library in the center of the campus, behind the theater and the walk-through sculpture garden. While social distancing directives are active, find us online. Click WLDC Online Tutoring, left, for details.
Days and times the WLDC is open
The WLDC is open on days classes are in session. During weekends and holidays when the campus is closed, the WLDC is also closed.
Summer Zoom (online) hours are 9 to 2 and 3 to 7 Monday thru Thursday. (See WLDC Online Tutoring, left.) The campus and the WLDC are closed every Friday of summer session.
How do I sign up?
You need to sign up only once each semester. Register online by filling out this Request for Academic Support.
How to contact the WLDC
Call us at 530.740.1709 to speak to a staff member or leave a voice mail. Your call may go to voicemail even during business hours–that means we are helping our students. If you are calling to ask about your appointment, try checking your campus email for appointment notifications from TutorTrac. You can also log in to yubacollege.tutortrac.com to see upcoming appointments.
What we do
We are open to currently enrolled YCCD students for a variety of writing-related things:
- Assistance for any writing assignment
- One-time appointments (log in to yubacollege.tutortrac.com)
- Weekly, recurring appointments
- MLA, APA, and Chicago style formatting help
- Informal study space
- Technology assistance
- Proofreading tips
- ESL reading, writing, and conversation support
- Kurzweil 3000 software for assisted reading & writing
- Jaws screen reader software
- Designated private accessible workstation including Kurzweil, Jaws, Dragon, and dedicated scanner
- Online tutoring for Distance Education English classes and for all tutoring during shelter-in-place directives.