Welcome to MESA at Yuba College!
Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement (MESA) is an academic achievement program that that provides a wide range of support services and activities. Our aim is to foster student success. First, Yuba College MESA program focuses on increasing and supporting student diversity and achievement in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Specifically, we work towards establishing an inclusive environment in which students receive opportunities for peer support, information-sharing, career options, scholarships, internships, and special programs. Through our program, MESA enables students to prepare for and transfer to four-year universities and gain confidence in their abilities to compete academically and professionally.
What are the benefits?
We can help you achieve your academic and professional goals.
- Increased access to UC and CSU campus visits
- Exclusive access to fun workshops and events
- Personalized access to resources
- Unique scholarship opportunities
- Assistance with transfer process and 4-year university system
Do I qualify?
Can you answer “YES” to the following questions?
- Do you intend to transfer?
- Are you eligible for or currently receiving Financial Aid?
- Are you required to take Calculus (Math 1A) for your major?
- My parents/guardians do not have a 4-year college degree.
- I am a current or incoming Yuba College student
If you are able to answer “YES” to all five questions, it is highly likely that you meet our MESA program requirements! Even if you are not sure, it never hurts to submit an application.
Join the MESA Family!
We are now accepting applications for the 2020/2021 academic year. Current or incoming Yuba College students are encouraged to submit an online application and we will reach out to set up a meeting to discuss your application and eligibility. Please always feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
MESA Program Requirements:
- Provide or prepare an updated educational plan each semester
- Agree to participate in a minimum of one MESA activity/event each semester
- Be working towards a degree in a math-based field, such as Agriculture, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering, Life Science, Mathematics, Physics, Pre-Medicine or Pre-Pharmacy
MESA is Statewide
MESA is not only at Yuba College. In fact, there are programs in 40 of California’s 110 community colleges and at many UC and CSU campuses. Currently, MESA students account for 10% of all Latino STEM transfers, 13% of all African American STEM transfers, and 20% of all Native American STEM transfers in California. Of course, 100% of MESA community college students who transfer to four-year institutions pursue STEM majors. Lastly, if you would like to learn more, visit the California MESA Website at https://mesa.ucop.edu/about-us/.