- Age 18 years or older
- Physically and mentally capable of safely performing the role of a Registered Veterinary Technician
- Must possess the physical stamina to lift heavy animals and remain standing for extended periods of time.
- It is strongly recommended that all students have received a tetanus vaccination within seven years and be TB tested negative no more than 6 months prior to starting the program
- Be fully vaccinated against Rabies by your second semester of the Program.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Oral and written communication
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Make quick decisions in difficult or unpleasant situations
- Work well as a team member
- Detail oriented
- Dexterity in both hands
The Vet Tech student must be able to work in an area with:
- Various odors
- Inhalation anesthesia
- Zoonotic diseases
- Cleaning chemicals
- Low-level radiation
- Sick animals
- Distraught clients
- Potentially dangerous biological agents
Other Required Courses:
Additional course work is required to satisfy the General Education requirements for the Associate in Science degree. Completion of the Vet Tech Program satisfies Graduation Requirements 4 (Health) and 5 (Multicultural studies). Most Vet Tech courses have prerequisites that must be completed prior to proceeding to subsequent courses. See graduation requirements listed in the Yuba College catalog for more specific information. For further questions, please make an appointment with a Yuba College Counselor.