The mission of the Yuba College Upward Bound program is to prepare first-generation income eligible high school students to be college ready by providing weekly academic support, college & career exploration as well as cultural enrichment opportunities.
Who We Are:
The Upward Bound Program at the Yuba College is a federally funded pre-collegiate program for high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The program is designed to motivate and prepare students, with academic potential, for success in education beyond high school.
All program services are FREE, but a serious commitment from the student and family is expected. Upward Bound Activities are scheduled throughout the school year and include a six-week Summer Program.
Upward Bound activities include:
- Saturday Academies that provide students with opportunities for building basic skills and obtaining academic enrichment. These are once a month with a college and career exploration focus.
- Weekly Resource Session with an Upward Bound Tutor/Advisor to assist in academic, career and personal counseling, as well as college exploration and planning.
- Tutoring is available at each school sites once a week and additional 1 on 1 tutoring sessions are available upon request.
- Senior Year the student works closely with Upward Bound Staff in college selection, admissions, housing, financial aid and scholarships.
- Campus visits to Colleges and Universities in California
- Bi-monthly Session with an Upward Bound counselor to develop an individual education plan and monitor progress.
- Summer Academic Program – Through concurrent enrollment students have the opportunity to enroll in two college level courses during the six-week session and earn college credit. The summer session is a comprehensive program that includes:
- Two Academic Classes
- Daily Tutorial Sessions
- ACT/SAT Prep Workshops
- College and Financial Aid Informational Workshops
- Organized Recreational Activities