What Are Guided Pathways?
The ultimate goal of guided pathways is to improve the number of students earning community college credentials while closing equity gaps.
The Guided Pathways Model creates a highly structured approach to student success that:
Provides all students with a set of clear course-taking patterns that promotes better enrollment decisions and prepares students for future success.
Integrates support services in ways that make it easier for students to get the help they need during every step of their community college experience.
Guided Pathways is an opportunity for our college to set our own goals and determine our best path to success.
Key Elements of Guided Pathways
- Structured onboarding process including improved placement tests and co-requisite instruction that provide students with clear, actionable, and usable information they need to get on the right start in college.
- Proactive academic and career advising from the start though completion and/or transfer, with assigned point of contact at each stage.
- Programs that are fully mapped out and aligned with further education and career advance while also providing structured or guided exploration for undecided students
- Early alert systems aligned with interventions and resources to help students stay on the pathway, persist, and progress.
- Instructional support and co-curricular activities aligned with classroom learning and career interests
- Redesigning and integrating basic skills/development education classes to accelerate students to college-level classes
Video: Explaining Guided Pathways
Academic Senate President and Faculty Member, Greg Kemble explains Guided Pathways in the first Guided Pathways Video geared toward Yuba College staff, faculty and students. If you prefer to read the transcript, click Transcript Video 1. Drum roll please…
Greg Kemble’s second video is focused on the first Guided Pathways Pillar – Clarify The Path. If you prefer to read the transcript, click Transcript of Video. 2
The third video is focused on the Guided Pathways Pillar – Enter the Path. If you prefer to read the transcript, click Transcript Video 3
The fourth video is focused on the Guided Pathways Pillar – Stay on the Path. If you prefer to read the transcript, click Transcript Video 4
The fifth video is focused on the Guided Pathways Pillar – Ensure Learning on the Path. If you prefer to read the transcript, click Transcript Video 5