Foster Care Education & Support
Pre-Approval: 21 hour required course work/training for those going through the licensing process of becoming a Resource Family.
Specific areas covered:
- Discipline Behaviors, and Working with Birth Parents
- Court Processes, overview of Child Protective Services and Mandated Reporting
- Education, Foster Youth Rights, Record Keeping and Trauma
- Health Issues, Probation and Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA)
- Roles of Resource Families, Prudent Parenting and SB89 (Healthy Sexual Development)
On Going Foster Care Education: California State Law requires licensed foster parents to complete 8 hours of annual foster care education. Given that children are coming into the court system with greater histories of abuse and neglect more than ever before, it has become more important than ever to develop excellent parenting skills, knowledge of the court system, and strong on-going support systems.
The Community College FKCE program annually offers classes on a variety of topics, including positive parenting/discipline, accessing education and health services, adolescent parenting training & self-esteem enhancement.