Asked Questions

Click on the question below for more information.

Still have questions?

Contact a knowledgeable member of our financial aid staff .

How do I apply for financial aid?

The first step is to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible beginning October 1 of each year at If not eligible to complete a fafsa based on 2nd bullet point below, complete the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) at CA DREAM ACT. The award year includes fall, spring and summer. For example, in the 2022-2023 award year the FAFSA application will cover fall 2022, spring 2023 and summer 2023.

The student must:
  • Have financial need (except for unsubsidized student loans)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Not be in default on a Perkins Loan, Direct Loan, National Direct Student Loan, Stafford Loan, Guaranteed Student Loan, PLUS Loan, or Supplemental Loan for Students (SLS)
  • Not owe a refund on a Pell Grant or Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Agree to use any federal student aid received solely for educational purposes
  • Have not completed a BA/BS degree (except for student loans)
  • Have a high school diploma, GED/proficiency certificate or pass the Ability to Benefit Test
  • Be enrolled in an eligible educational program of study

Back to Top

What are the eligibility requirements to receive financial aid?

  • In addition to the requirements above, you must be enrolled in an approved certificate, associate degree, or transfer program and must be taking courses toward that program.
  • If you change your educational goal and/or program you must update your record with Registration.
  • To remain eligible for Federal and State aid you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

What are the enrollment requirements to be eligible to receive financial aid?

Award Must Be Enrolled In
Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (BOG) Any number of units
Pell Grant Must be enrolled in any units. If enrolled in .5 – 5.5 units the award will be dependent upon the number of units enrolled in and the student’s EFC.
FSEOG, Federal Work-   Study, Direct Loan. Must be enrolled in at least 6 units.
EOP&S and CARE Must be enrolled full-time (with few exceptions).
Scholarships Scholarship enrollment requirements vary.
Refer to your scholarship award letter.

Back to Top

How do I find out about my financial aid award?

You can access YCCD Porta to find out your award. You will need your User-ID and Password to access your record. The Award Letter is under Financial Aid/Financial aid award letter.

The amount you receive is based on the number of units you are actively enrolled in at the time the disbursements are processed. The amounts listed on your award letter reflect the awards for a full-time student. Your actual disbursements may be less depending on your actual number of units.
Back to Top

What types of financial aid are available to me?

There are four main types of financial aid:
  • Grants which do not need to be paid back (e.g. Pell grants, CalGrants, FSEOG, etc.)
  • Work-Study (Awarded through Financial Aid Office). Awarded to full and part-time students who demonstrate financial need. Work-Study provides part-time employment on campus. Funds are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Scholarships
  • Loans are available each semester for a limited time. Check Types of Aid on Website for further information.

Back to Top

Is there a deadline for applying for financial aid?

For the 2022-2023 School Year: For federal aid, submit your FAFSA as early as possible, but no earlier than October 1, 2021. The Department of Education must receive your application no later than June 30, 2023. The school must have your correct and complete information by the last day of enrollment in the 2022-2023 school year. For earliest consideration for CalGrants, you must apply by March 2.
Back to Top

What is the Yuba College school code for FAFSA entry?

Yuba College school code is 001344. This is the same code used for Marysville, Clear Lake, Yuba City, Sutter and Beale. Woodland Community College and Colusa have a separate code: 041438
Back to Top

Where do I create an FSA ID to sign my FAFSA?

When applying online for your FAFSA, you will need to request an FSA ID at . Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature. If you are a dependent student, one parent must also sign your FAFSA. Your parent should also apply for an FSA ID. DO NOT share your FSA ID with others.
Back to Top

My SAR indicates I was “selected for “verification.” What does that mean?

The federal government randomly selects approximately 30% of all aid recipients for verification. This means the Financial Aid Office must verify the information you submitted on your FAFSA for both the student, and in the case of dependent students their parents’, by collecting tax return transcripts,
W-2s and other documents determined by the Department of Education to confirm the accuracy of information.

The college will contact you by student email to inform you of what is needed. The verification form will be available through a link that will be contained in your student email.  A notification will also appear in the MyDocuments link in the Financial Aid section of WebAdvisor.  Access your student email for the link to print the required form.  You should submit all documents promptly to avoid delays in processing your application.
Back to Top

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

You must reapply every year for Federal and State aid programs by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For the best financial aid package, submit your FAFSA in October for the following fall semester.
Back to Top

What does Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) mean?

Federal regulations require that all students who receive Financial Aid maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in their course of study, regardless of whether they have ever applied for or received financial aid. The Yuba College Financial Aid Office monitors that progress using Qualitative and Quantitative Progress criteria. Standards are checked at the end of every semester.

  • Maintain a minimum of a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) each semester.
  • Maintain Progress – Requirement to complete units attempted each semester. See table below.
Semester Enrollment Status Quantitative Progress Requirements per Semester
Full-time enrollment 12 + units Must complete at
least 9 units
¾ time enrollment
9 – 11.5 units
Must complete at
least 6 units
½ time enrollment
6 – 8.5 units
Must complete at
least 4 units
Less than ½ time 3 – 6 units Must complete at
least 3 units
Less than 3 units All units attempted
  • Maintain Pace – Requirement to complete 70% of cumulative units attempted.

1. Units with a grade of “F”, “FW”, “NC,” “W,” “NP”, “IP” and “I” are considered as units attempted but not completed.

2. Total Units – Students may attempt up to 90 units toward the completion of a degree program or 45 units toward the completion of a certificate program. Students who have attempted more than the maximum units for their program will be denied financial aid. Units taken at other colleges or taken without the assistance of financial aid are calculated into the total number of units attempted.

For complete SAP policy and more detailed information click here .

Back to Top

What happens if I add or drop a class before the end of the semester?

If you are enrolled less than half-time and add classes notify the Financial Aid Office immediately. If you are enrolled in 6 to 12 units and add classes, the Financial Aid Office will automatically adjust your award. Added classes will be paid with the second disbursement.

If you drop some classes before the next disbursement of your financial aid, your next payment will be adjusted to reflect your new enrollment status.

If you drop some classes and your financial aid award is reduced to less than you have already received, you will have to repay a portion of your financial aid.

If you completely drop or withdraw from classes at Yuba College prior to completing 60% of the term it will affect your eligibility for financial aid, and could result in your having to repay all or a portion of your financial aid to Yuba College and/or the Department of Education.

Students are encouraged to meet with their instructors and/or academic counselors prior to dropping classes. In addition to possible repayment, this may affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress and you may be placed on financial aid warning or terminated status.
Back to Top

Returned Policy due to Class Cancelation or reported as NO Show

If you receive a grant and your class is cancelled or you are reported as No Show (never attended), and this brings your enrollment below the approved disbursement, you will owe back a portion of the aid you received to the Department of Education.

Please contact the financial aid office for assistance.
Back to Top

Do I need to reapply for summer financial aid?

Funds are available for summer terms. Students may receive a Pell Grant for attending summer classes if:

  • They did not receive their full Pell Grant during the academic year.
  • Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss options.

Back to Top

What if my financial situation has changed?

If your family experiences an extreme change in its finances due to special circumstances such as illness, divorce, separation, unemployment, or death of parent or spouse you can request to have your financial aid eligibility reevaluated based on your new financial circumstances. Contact the Financial Aid Office and request a “Special Circumstance” application.
Back to Top

How do I apply for a CalGrant?

To apply for a CalGrant, you must:

  • file your FAFSA by March 2nd of each year.
  • submit a Grade Point Average Verification form certified by the appropriate high school counselor or college administrator by the same date.
  • If attending a CA Community College you have a “second chance” deadline of September 2nd.

NOTE: Check with Financial Aid to see if your GPA will be electronically certified for you
Back to Top

Does the student need to ASK to be added to the Promise Program, or does it automatically happen if they meet the criteria?

The student must meet the criteria below and finish the entire matriculation process (YC application, orientation, placement registration, and meet with a counselor, etc.) to be automatically placed in the promised grant.

  • Is a new, full-time student (Registers for 12 or more units)
  • A CA resident
  • Completes FAFSA or Dream Act Application