Federal Aid

State Aid

Institutional/Private Aid

Pell Grant
  • Must complete FAFSA.
  • Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from
    other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.
  • Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students- those who haven’t earned
    a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
  • Amounts can change yearly.

Back to Top

Federal Work Study

Under the FWS Program, you can work part-time to earn money for your education. The FWS Program:

  • provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school
  • helps pay your educational expenses
  • is administered by schools participating in the FWS Program
  • encourages community service work and work related to your course of study, whenever

Back to Top

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Must complete FAFSA.
  • FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need- those
    with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by Department of
  • Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.

FSEOG awards range from $100 to $200 a year.

Back to Top

Student Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans are a long-term financial obligation. Getting a loan means, you are responsible for repaying the money you borrowed including interest, costs and fees.

Important loan information:


2016 3-year official Cohort Default Rate at 16%..

Student Loan Application Process Now Available.

New Applicant:

    • Start by scheduling an appointment with a Financial Aid Technician to review your eligibility and the application process.

Existing Borrower:

    • New applications are required every academic year.
    • Exit Counseling is required of borrowers when the borrower
      • drops below 6 units during a semester,
      • completes just one semester, and
      • for students who are graduating or transferring.
        • Exit Counseling is completed at studentloans.gov.  Additional information is available in the federal publication Exit Counseling Guide for Direct Loan Borrowers available here.
    • Repayment is necessary:
      • when you graduate
      • when you drop below 6 units a semester
      • when you withdraw from all your classes

Back to Top

The CA College Promise Grant provides fee waivers for eligible students to assist with
enrollment fees. To determine eligibility, students must apply annually via the FAFSA, Dream Act, or CCC Apply.

Students who have not completed their fee payment arrangements after 10 days from the time of their registration will be subject to being dropped from their classes for non-payment of course fees.

Fee Waiver Applications are available here:

Out of State/Country students or other course related fees, such as lab or materials fees, must be paid by the student.

    CA Promise Grant Regulation

In an effort to help students succeed in the California community colleges, the Student Success Act of 2012 (California Senate Bill 1456) was signed into law by Governor Brown. Among other aspects, the Act included the creation of minimum academic and progress standards that must be met for continued eligibility for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW). These are different and separate standards from those for student federal aid, Cal Grants.

Effective Fall 2016, California Community College students receiving the BOG Fee Waiver must meet minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible for the BOG Fee Waiver.

Students Must:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00
  • Successfully complete at least 50% of all units attempted

Measurement of these standards began fall 2015.

  1. If a student is placed on “Academic” and/or “Progress Probation” through Admissions and Records for two consecutive primary terms, the student will lose eligibility for the BOG Fee Waiver.
  2. The student could also lose enrollment priority through Admissions and Records if the “Academic” and/or “Progress” are not met for two consecutive primary terms.
  3. Students who lose BOG Fee Waiver eligibility will have an opportunity to regain eligibility by meeting the above listed standards or through an Admissions and Records appeal process.

Back to Top

Cal Grant B and C

Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. For starters, it’s
money you don’t have to pay back. If you are a graduating high school senior or
recent graduate who meets academic and financial eligibility requirements, submit
FAFSA and GPA Verification Form by March 2 or September 2 to be able to receive
a Cal Grant.
Students who have already completed 24 degree applicable or 24 transferrable
college units at YCCD will have their GPA automatically submitted to the California
Student Aid Commission.

How to Apply. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) / Dream Act Application and submit
GPA Verification Form
for the March 2 or September 2 deadline. If you meet the income, eligibility, and
GPA requirements, the cash is yours.

1.  A Cal Grant award is limited to four academic years, except for students enrolled in an institutionally required five-year undergraduate program or for students with baccalaureate degrees admitted to and enrolled in a program of professional teacher preparation

2.  A student needs to take 15 units per semester or quarter, or 30 semester units or the equivalent quarter units per academic year, in order to graduate within four years.

Cal Grant B Entitlement Awards provide low-income students with
a living allowance and assistance with tuition fees and other educational expenses.
Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,672 for books and living
expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in
the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for
at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational
or career technical schools. This $1,094 award is for books, tools, and equipment.
You may also receive up to an additional $2,462 for tuition at a school other than
a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program
that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college,
or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending
on the length of your program.

Back to Top

Student Success Completion Grant:

These funds are awarded to all full-time students receiving Cal Grant B or C. Full time is 12 or more units.  This grant is an incentive to remain full-time. Student must meet SAP and all Cal Grant program requirements. The SSCG amount for those students who enroll in 12-14.99 units will receive $649 per semester. Those enrolled in 15+ units will receive $2,000 per semester. These are “need based’ grants.

For more information Click here


If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up
to $5,000 a year for career and technical training for college. You don’t have to
pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child
care, transportation and living expenses while you’re in school. You can use your
Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university, career or technical
school, as well as schools in other states.To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your
26th birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The California Department of Social
Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.For more information click here.Back to Top


AmeriCorps members serve more than 3,000 nonprofit institutions, public agencies,
faith-based and other community organizations to help meet critical needs in education,
public safety, health and the environment. The variety of service opportunities
is almost unlimited. Members may tutor and mentor youth, build affordable housing,
teach computer skills, clean parks and streams, run after-school programs, or help
communities respond to disasters.
Upon completion of their service, AmeriCorps members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education
Award to help finance their education.
For more information click here.
Back to Top


Scholarships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education. Unlike
student loans, scholarships for college are financial gifts and therefore do not
need to be paid back. The best source of scholarship information is contained on
the internet through a variety of scholarship directory sites.

The YCCD and the WCC Foundation’s scholarships are provided by the college, alumni,
and private donors, and are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and promise
of future achievement. Financial need is a factor for some awards, but not for all.
Additionally, students who have acquired particular skills may be awarded for their
talents. Click here for scholarship information.
Back to Top