Types of Aid

Types of Aid

AmeriCorps members serve more than 3,000 nonprofit institutions, public agencies, faith-based and other community organizations to help meet critical needs in education, public safety, health and the environment. The variety of service opportunities is almost unlimited. Members may tutor and mentor youth, build affordable housing, teach computer skills, clean parks and streams, run after-school programs, or help communities respond to disasters.
Upon completion of their service, AmeriCorps members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to help finance their education.
For more information click here.
Back to Top

Board of Governors' Fee Waiver (BOGW)

The Board of Governors provides fee waivers for eligible students to assist with enrollment fees. To determine eligibility, students must complete a Fee Waiver Application or must have applied for financial aid through the FAFSA.
Fee Waiver Applications are available here:

In an effort to help students succeed in the California community colleges, the Student Success Act of 2012 (California Senate Bill 1456) was signed into law by Governor Brown. Among other aspects, the Act included the creation of minimum academic and progress standards that must be met for continued eligibility for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW). These are different and separate standards from those for student federal aid, Cal Grants.

Effective Fall 2016, California Community College students receiving the BOG Fee Waiver must meet minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible for the BOG Fee Waiver.

Students Must:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00
  • Successfully complete at least 50% of all units attempted

Measurement of these standards will begin with fall 2015.

  1. If a student is placed on "Academic" and/or "Progress Probation" through Admissions and Records for two consecutive primary terms, the student will lose eligibility for the BOG Fee Waiver.
  2. The student could also lose enrollment priority through Admissions and Records if the "Academic" and/or "Progress" are not met for two consecutive primary terms.
  3. Students who lose BOG Fee Waiver eligibility will have an opportunity to regain eligibility by meeting the above listed standards or through an Admissions and Records appeal process.

Back to Top

Cal Grant B and C
Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. For starters, it's money you don't have to pay back. If you are a graduating high school senior or recent graduate who meets academic and financial eligibility requirements, submit FAFSA and GPA Verification Form by March 2 or September 2 to be able to receive a Cal Grant.
Students who have already completed 24 degree applicable or 24 transferrable college units at YCCD will have their GPA automatically submitted to the California Student Aid Commission.

How to Apply. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit GPA Verification Form for the March 2 or September 2 deadline. If you meet the income, eligibility, and GPA requirements, the cash is yours.

Cal Grant B Entitlement Awards provide low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition fees and other educational expenses. Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,473 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career technical schools. This $547 award is for books, tools, and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,462 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Back to Top

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training for college. You don't have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and living expenses while you're in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university, career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.
For more information click here.

Back to Top

Federal Work Study
Under the FWS Program, you can work part-time to earn money for your education.
The FWS Program:

  • provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school
  • helps pay your educational expenses
  • is administered by schools participating in the FWS Program
  • encourages community service work and work related to your course of study, whenever possible

Back to Top

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Must complete FAFSA.
  • FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need- those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by Department of Education.
  • Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.

FSEOG awards range from $100 to $200 a year.

Back to Top

Pell Grant

  • Must complete FAFSA.
  • Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.
  • Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students- those who haven't earned a bachelor's or graduate degree.
  • Amounts can change yearly.

Back to Top

Scholarships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education. Unlike student loans, scholarships for college are financial gifts and therefore do not need to be paid back. The best source of scholarship information is contained on the internet through a variety of scholarship directory sites.
The YCCD and the WCC Foundation's scholarships are provided by the college, alumni, and private donors, and are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and promise of future achievement. Financial need is a factor for some awards, but not for all. Additionally, students who have acquired particular skills may be awarded for their talents. Click here for scholarship information.
Back to Top

Student Loans
Yuba College loan processing is suspended for 2014-2015. Loans will not be available for students attending Yuba College for the 2014-2015 Academic year.


Effective in the fall of 2013, the Yuba Community College District including Yuba College and Woodland Community College, will suspend the Federal Student Loan Program. The U.S. Department of Education's policy would be to revoke a college's ability to participate in any Federal Financial Aid program, including Pell Grants, FSEOG and Federal Work Study, because of excessive default rates. The decision by the College and its Board of Trustees to suspend the Federal Student Loan Program was made in an effort to protect the availability of future Federal Financial Aid. The Board of Trustees has formed a Committee to assess its decision through data analysis for future years.

The Board's action to suspend Federal Student Loans will protect all Federal student aid, including Pell Grant, meaning that eligible students will still be able to receive all Federal Grants as well as State Cal Grants.

Back to Top