Credit for Prior Learning at Yuba College

Students may demonstrate proficiency in a course eligible for Credit for Prior Learning (as determined by appropriate discipline faculty) and receive college credit through the approved alternative methods for awarding credit listed below:

  • Achievement of a score of 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement (AP) examination
  • Achievement of a satisfactory score on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE)
  • Satisfactory score on the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) as recommended by ACE
  • Evaluation of Joint Service Transcripts (JST). The JST provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising U.S. service members and veterans.
  • Achievement of a satisfactory score on an examination administered by other agencies approved by the District
  • Evaluation of industry-recognized credential documentation
  • Evaluation of student-created portfolios
  • Satisfactory completion of an institutional examination, known as Credit by Examination (challenge exam), administered by the college in lieu of completion of an active course listed in the current college catalog

Determination of Eligibility for Credit for Prior Learning

  • The student must be in good standing in the District and credit is not awarded until the student has completed 12 units with a 2.0 G.P.A. at the college where the credit is being requested
  • The student must have previously earned credit or noncredit from the District or be currently registered in the District
  • The course is listed in the current Woodland Community College or Yuba College Catalog
  • The student is not currently enrolled in the course to be challenged
  • Credit by Examination: The student is registered in the college where the credit is being requested and not currently enrolled in nor received credit for a more advanced course in the same subject
  • Veteran or an active-duty member of the armed forces, upon completion of their educational plan, shall be referred to the college’s appropriate authority for the assessment of prior learning if the student holds industry-recognized credentials, or requests credit for a course based on their prior learning.

Credits acquired through the Credit for Prior Learning process are not applicable to meeting semester unit load requirements (i.e., full-time status, Veteran’s or Social Security benefits, financial aid, etc.) and shall not be counted in determining the 12 semester hours of credit in residence required for an Associate degree (Title 5 § 55050).

For more information, see the Yuba Community College District Administrative Procedure on Credit for Prior Learning (AP 4235).